Thursday, May 19, 2011

Reflejos de Marta: Asia seems like a pretty cool continent

Asia...it has been a good continent.

After only traveling to two Asian countries so far (Singapore and Cambodia), I know this is a region I will definitely be exploring more again in the future. My loving husband has already been doing an amazing job updating the blog with his photos and our friend Joe has had some quality contributions. If you haven't checked out Joe's Nook yet, you should...another entry on the way.

I am going to leave you with a few highlights and observations from our Cambodia adventure.

-It is REALLY hot in this country. Good thing I brought the standard bandana dew rag. I swear our taxi driver never broke a sweat while we basically had wet clothes at the end of templing.
-Joe has been a great travel partner, especially when he encourages the married couple to go out more. He has also handled the Lewis tifs and neuroses quite well :)
-The people in this country are incredibly kind and generous. Our hotel in Siem Reap practically felt like family after 5 nights. They received a lot of thank you bows when we left.
-The capital city of Phnom Pehn was way more developed and cosmopolitan than I expected. After being deserted from 1975-1980ish with the Khmer Rouge, it is amazing to see where Cambodia is at now.
-The temples of Angkor were spectacular and overwhelming. There are sooo many! I loved the ones we had completely to ourselves.
-There are a lot of quality NGO organizations popping up everywhere. Many making free trade products or educating youth. A few favorites 1) Bloom in Siem Reap - makes trendy bags out of recycled rice bags. 2) Friends Restaurant in Phnom Pehn - one of a few restaurants teaching Cambodian youth the service industry and of course amazing food! 3) Rajana - a handicrafts store working with Cambodian women - many amazing silk products and handmade items.
-I bought orange silk sandals. They are amazing. They had to make the blog post right?! They rival the other best purchase in Asia - Obama tshirts with Obama written in Khmer. Drew and Joe each bought 2.
-Drew keeps trying to scare me with Komodo dragon jokes and makes this licking noise with his mouth. See prior blog post about Komodo - we go there next week in Indonesia.
-I got a Khmer herbal remedy body scrub in Siem Riep. Let's just say I wasn't expecting the orange body scrub to be on EVERY part of my body. I guess you should just throw your modesty out the window before getting pampered in Asia.
-Cambodia is a must see country. I loved it.

No comments:

Post a Comment